In This Blog Different Articles Regarding Indian Arts, Science, Culture, Philosophy ,History ,Spirituality ,Rational and CREATIVE THOUGHTS will be placed.
Aim Is To ENFORCE An Earthly Life Into The DIVINE Life keeping the normal life style intact & to innovate & reveal the new things to serve THE MOTHER- EARTH & HER DWELLERS.
institute was established at Kolkata (then known as Calcutta) by Padma Bhushan late Prof. Boshi Sen on July 4, 1924 and named it as Vivekananda Laboratory.. Boshi relocated to Almora where he set up his laboratory in Kundan House.The Laboratory was permanently shifted
to Almora in 1936 and was being run on donations and grants till it was handed
over to Uttar Pradesh Government in 1959. On October 1, 1974, ICAR took it over
and rechristened it as Vivekananda
Parvatiya Krishi Anusandhan Sansthan.
MILESTONES IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE INSTITUTE
1924 - Establishment as small room Laboratory in Calcutta - One man laboratory
1936 - Permanently shifted the Laboratory to Kundan
1943 - Change in priority from fundamental
physiological research to agriculture
1952 - Allotment of 15 acre land at Hawalbagh
1959 - Transfer of Laboratory to U. P. Government
and allotment of 215 acre land
1974 - Transfer of Laboratory to ICAR and
broadening of mandate
1986 - Creation of divisions/sections
2001 – Received ‘Sardar Patel Outstanding ICAR
Institution Award 2000'
2008 - Recieved 'Sardar Patel
Outstanding ICAR Institution Award 2007'
2.Girish N. Mehra, Nearer
Heaven Than Earth—The Life and Times of Boshi Sen and Gertrude Emerson Sen,
foreword by M.S. Swami. New Delhi: Rupa & Co., 2007.]
He came in contact withSister Niveditawho introduced him to AcharyaJagadish Chandra Bose, the famous
Indian scientist, biologist and botanist. Boshi worked withSir Jagadish
Chandra Bosefor several years
He travelled to United States on
invitation of an American scientist Glen Overton. After his return to India
Boshi founded his own laboratory in a small kitchen in Bosepara Lane, Baghbazar,
The laboratory was named afterSwami Vivekananda. Boshi relocated to Almora where he set up his
laboratory in Kundan House, rented with the
money ofJosephine MacLeod, and Sister Christine stayed there with him for
FAMILY OF DR BASI SEN
Basiswar was born inBishnupurarea in Bengal in 1887. His father's name was
Rameshwar Sen, who was the first graduate of Calcutta University fromBankuradistrict of Bengal. His mother's name was Prasannamoyi Devi. He was
introduced toRamakrishna Orderby his friend Bibhuti Bhushon
Ghosh. He was intimately associated withSwami Sadananda, also called Gupta Maharaj, a direct monastic
disciple ofSwami Vivekananda.
Boshi also took a few photographs of the Holy MotherSri Sarada Devi.
In 1924Sister Christineor Christine Greenstidel a direct
American disciple of Swami Vivekananda took up her accommodation with Boshi.
Dr Boshi Sen was a plant
physiologist. He was married to the historian, geographer and journalist
Gertrude Emerson Sen in 1932. Boshi Sen worked underJagadish
through his research visited Britain and the USA. Sen worked at University
College London and became acquainted withD. H. Lawrencein the late 1920s through the Brewster
In his Vivekananda Laboratory he was
successful in production of hybrid maize seeds and hybrid onions. For his
pioneering work which heralded Green Revolution in India, he was awarded
Padma Bhushan in 1957 and Watmull award in 1962. He was allotted land for the
expansion of his work by Uttar Pradesh Government in Hawalbagh.
In 1959 his Laboratory was transferred to U. P. Government and it allotted
215 acre land for scientific research.
The Great Bengal Famine of 1943 had changed Boshi's outlook towards research and from research on
plant cell his focus shifted to applied research on agriculture and food grain
productivity. In this matter he was deeply influenced by the humanistic
endeavours and messages of Swami Vivekananda who identified food problem as one
of the major problems plaguing British India.
In 1928 Boshi
met Romain Rolland
and had a discussion on the lives of Ramakrishna and Vivekananda with him.
In 1930 He
met Einstein in Berlin and had discussions
on Science and Religion
and journalist Gertrude Emerson Sen in 1932. Married Dr. Basi Sen.She was the daughter of Alfred Emerson, Sr., and the
granddaughter of Deborah Hall, the wife ofSamuel D. Ingham,
Secretary of the Treasury (1829–31) under US
She was also the sister of famed entomologistAlfred E. Emerson.
Some have stated that she was the granddaughter ofRalph Waldo Emerson
After teachingEnglishinJapan, Sen
returned to theUnited
become the editor ofAsiamagazine.
In 1920 she undertook a round-the-world expedition which
included stunt flying and caving. Eventually she settled in a village in
participated in rural life, married Indian nativeBasiswar Senon
November 1, 1932, and came to love the culture of her adopted my country India.